A few words, misheard, can be tragic. Especially to a child.
We took Sarah to the home of a woman in our church to go to a play with the eight year old church activity group. Mary wanted to get out of the car also, but I told her we were just dropping Sarah off. I walked Sarah to the door, and as soon as I returned to the car, Mary started crying hysterically. "Sarah!" she screamed. "Sarah! Sarah!"
I thougth it was very sweet that she missed Sarah, and didn't want to leave her behind. However, by the time we reached the grocery store, and she was still shrieking, it wasn't quite so sweet anymore. Even the bribe of gum from the quarter machine did not calm her down.
Getting out of the car, I went back to her seat and asked her what was the matter. She managed to control her sobbing enough to gasp out, "They're going to chop up Sarah!" And disolve in to tears again.
Somehow, in the dark soundless void of the back seat she got 'chop up Sarah' instead of 'drop off Sarah'.
What a big heart this little angel has.
When I say I'm a Christian...
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment