Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Morning Already?

Do you ever have those dreams that are so real that you are very disoriented when you wake up. Even if you are asleep in your own bed you wonder where you are? I was having one of those last night (or early this morning), when something suddenly catapulted me out of the dream and into reality. It was so startling that I gasped out loud, heart racing. It took me a moment to recognize my child, Samuel, standing next to my bed. The dream took place before I was married, and it took some major shifting of focus to became the matronly mommy of five again.

Checking the clock, I saw that it was 5am. I got Samuel some water, and sent him back to bed. (Remind anyone of a familiar Christmas story?). Then I went back to bed myself, but hubby wouldn't stop snoring no matter how many times I jabbed him and told him to roll over. So, to avoid the homicide charges, I finally decided I might as well get out of bed. I really, really don't like to leave my nice cozy bed before 7. But since I was already up I decided to go visit my computer. It is so much easier to use if I can get some uninterupted time, and not have to worry about babies hitting the keyboard, or toddlers destroying the rest of the house.

Tiptoeing down to the basement, I started the computer, waited f or it to warm up, only to realize that I coudln't see the screen because I didn't have my glasses on. My eyes were red and burning, so I couldn't put my contacts in. And I suddenly remembered that I had left my glasses in the glove compartment of the van. Leaning in to within inches of the screen, I could see well enough to read the current temperature posted on my homepage: 11 degrees. Brrr. So, I slid on my shoes, without socks, and a jacket, and made my way into the cold, dark, air.

For any of you who do not know, I am blind without corrective lenses. Yes, legally blind. So, I have to admit that I wasn't to thrilled to see that yesterday's icy sidewalk (which I forgot to buy rock salt for) was now covered in a couple of inches of snow. It was now 6am, and still nearly completely dark, as I made my way blindly over the sidewalk, not even able to see where the graduated steps were.

Miraculously, I made my way to the car without slipping and cracking any bones. I fumbled around in the glove compartment, hands finally contacting with my glasses, slid them on my face, stepped out of the car port, and was dazzled.

The freshly fallen snow was unmarred by anything but the occasional cat print. It spread out in an unbroken sparkling sea of white and diamonds. The street lights reflected off of the snow gave it a magical effect. Looking up at the still black sky, the sparkling diamonds of stars in a clear sky mirrored those on the ground. Stunned by the beauty, I breathed deeply of the cool crisp air, my breath freezing in little white clouds, and reflected on the beauty of night and silence and snow.

I came back inside, looking forward to a few quiet moments, sat down in my comfy chair, and immediately heard the baby crying on the baby monitor. Oh, well. At least I had a few moments of peace.

No comments: