Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Spooked by Santa


I was just looking at some very funny pictures people sent in on the Better Homes and Gardens website of kids terrified by Santa Claus. See the pictures here .

I have definitely had my share of children getting hysteric when put on Santa's lap. But who can blame them. Some strange fat man with a fake beard. I still remember the feel of sitting on Santa's velvety lap, with his hot bad breath blowing in my face, not such a pleasant experience. And why do we make our children do it, so that we can propagate a myth, which is very bizarre, even though it is fun.

My seven year old asked me, just this morning, if I believed in Santa Claus. I tried to put her off with the "what do you think?" that my mom always gave us, but apparently my children are not so compliant or easily distracted. "Do you believe in Santa Claus?" She demanded again. "Just a minute, Liz, I need to finish what I am doing." Her voice escalates,"IS SANTA REAL!" I told her I couldn't answer her, and that she needed to get ready for school, but she will not forget. I would love to say, "No, there isn't really a Santa, we buy you the presents, he is just a lovely myth for little children." I don't know, it is a hard thing. I will not lie or evade a direct question, but I don't know what to say.

I don't have a picture of a child screaming, but last year shows a very reluctant Samuel. He would not voluntarily sit on Santa, but stood looking at the ground. I had to pick him up and place him on Santa's lap, and even then he looked at the ground. Refused to look at Santa, or the balloon on offer. Samuel is like that, when he is upset he generally dosen't scream, but goes immobile and silent.

Do you have experineces with your child or yourself being spooked by Santa?

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I know what you mean about not knowing what to say to the kids when they ask you that dreaded question. However its fun to keep that holiday magic going as long as you can, I have a wonderful Christmas story that I will e-mail you that is perfect to tell the kids. I also have a beautiful book that you can barrow that is called...I Believe in Santa Claus by Diane Adamson that compares Santa to Jesus which is nice to help the kids look at the whole Santa thing in a different light and be reminded of the true meaning of Christmas.